nhartlnd.openingBack to Archive.
North Hartland - Saturday, October 13, 2001 - The as yet unnamed new covered bridge was officially opened to traffic after the ceremony. Nearly one-hundred spectators, mostly townspeople attended.
The new bridge joins the Willard Bridge in spanning the Ottauquechee River Dam causeway restoring the twosome interrupted by the 1938 hurricane. The lost covered bridge was replaced by a concrete and steel span. The two covered bridges are referred to as the North Hartland twin bridges.
Warren Tripp, retired chief of VAOT Structures was one of six who addressed the gathering.
Mr. Tripp was in charge when the issue of repairing or replacing the causeway concrete bridge
came up. Some of his remarks, paraphrased:
*Unconfirmed date used by the VAOT
Addressing the gathering are: Robert Stacey, Town Manager; Gordon Richardson, Legislature; Warren Tripp, VAOT retired; Hiram (?), former town manager; William Patnode, Alpine Construction, builder of the abutments; Jan Lewandoski, Restoration and Traditional Building, Inc., builder of the bridge.
Return to topJoe Nelson, P.O Box 267, Jericho, VT 05465-0267, firstname.lastname@example.org
No part of this web site may be reproduced without the written permission of Joseph C.
Copyright © 2001, Joseph C. Nelson
This file posted October 26, 2001