Back to Mill Bridge Reconstruction
The Mill (Hayward) Covered Bridge Inspection Report In Brief:
Description: Constructed in 1883 by unknown* builder. The bridge is
constructed with a multiple-kingpost truss, verticle members 8x6", braces 6x3.5". The deck 12x3"
planks laid longitudinally. The siding is vertical 'inch' plank unpainted. Roofing is metal, abutments
are cast concrete. Bridge measurements: Length: 72.1', Width: (c-c truss)17', Width inside
clear: 16.04' Vertical clear: 12''.
Inspection report: April 1993
Repairs = $40,000
Total = $100,000
The Covered Bridge Inspection Program:
The inspection program was part of a long-range plan to oversee public safety, plan for current and future traffic needs, and to preserve all of the covered bridges in the state. The structure of each bridge was inspected for safety, and the bridge traffic was evaluated. The results of the study were turned over to the local communities with recommendations to help them decide whether to repair, rehabilitate, or replace their covered bridges. The towns, ultimately responsible for a share of the funding, will decide what work will be done.
The recommendations include one of five options based on the condition of the bridge and the type of traffic the bridge supports:
Option A: The community may close the bridge to vehicular traffic, with traffic diverted to existing roads and bridges.
Option B: The community may continue to use the bridge for light vehicular traffic, with heavier truck traffic diverted to other routes.
Option C: The community may close the bridge to traffic and construct an adjacent bypass bridge.
Option D: The community may rehabilitate the bridge to support moderate traffic safely.
Option E: The community may replace the bridge and move it to a nearby preservation site.
P.O Box 267, Jericho, VT 05465-0267
No part of this web site may be reproduced without the written permission of Joseph C.