The same construction system was applied for three bridges in the neighborhood: In the year 1535 Neubruecke just north of Berne, 1568 Aarberg and 1555 Guemmenen. All of them are still in use, the former two for motor traffic up to 10 tons, the last one for pedestrians only. The settlements of accounts of the Bernese Government tell us in a detailed manner all the works that had been done to maintain the bridge usable during the centuries.
In 1934 the legal truck load was 16 tons and the bridge again was in bad shape. A project was made with steal beams but still protected by a roof to keep the appearence of a timber bridge. A bridge in iron-concrete was too expensive. An enterprise specialised in timber work proposed a solution with reinforcement of the 6 beams in each span, every beam 19x21 incches wide.
1552 is the date on the masonry stone pier Fig.3. In its whole size it was visible till 1967 but only in winter, when the river was low. Then the dam for an electric power plant rised the water up to the stone ring on which the struts for the reinforcements of 1934 are fixed. The water level of today is marked by a blue line.