The bridge you find today near Wangen a.d.Aare Fig. 1 is much younger:
In 1367 a bridge is mentioned in a document of the count of Neuenburg-Nidau for the first time, but we have neither excavations nor pictures and so no idea what it looked like.
In 1407 the small town Wangen Fig.2 was conquered by the Bernese, the town of Berne, which was then expanding in all directions. The little town was fortified and last but not least the bailiff was ordered to build a new covered bridge, that was safe to be used by pedestrians, horses and carts or wagons. At the north end even a door for defense was provided.
But after 1549 a new age arose in timber bridge construction for the covered bridge of Wangen, still now existing, 456 years old, which requires quite a bit of maintenance.
1552 is the date on the masonry stone pier Fig.3. In its whole size it was visible till 1967 but only in winter, when the river was low. Then the dam for an electric power plant rised the water up to the stone ring on which the struts for the reinforcements of 1934 are fixed. The water level of today is marked by a blue line.